January 2012 AUDs and ENDs
|January 2012 AUDs & ENDs|
* The NYTimes ‘splains what’s happenin with 17,000 tracks recorded by folklorist, ethnomusicologist Alan Lomax (it’s his birthday)
VID Hello Dddddooollllyyyy (Parton slowed waaaay down)
* Two Dutch ISPs refuse to block Pirate Bay. (Two more have no choice.)
* Man ‘forgotten’ in a New Mexico jail gets a $22 million award.(more)(more)(BTW, NM is the #1 US sinkhole for Federal money)
IMG Norwegian skies cooked up some fine auroras last weekend.
MIX XLR8R’s mix podcast of Mano Le Tough‘s melodic Irish DJ sensibility is like a scenic drive-through. (67m)
* Filetea is an anonymous browser-to-browser file-sharing service.
VID ADDED Soul Train:The Hippest Trip in America (62m) to sidebar. History & influence of the TV show that began in 1971 & lasted 35 years.
MP3 Solipsistic Nation showcases moody ambience – two live gigs by Pimmon (AU) and Landcrash (UK). With interviews. (87m)
* Mysterious sounds from the skies – real or faked?
* Adafruit has announced FLORA, her new wearable electronics platform. Dozens of projects have been promised.
VID Spiffy time-lapse video from Yosemite Nat’l Park. Music by M83.
* Since 2000, nine of the ten hottest years on record have occurred.
* Canadian gov’t covered-up radioactive rain in Calgary (8Bq/l) after Fukushima.
* Bronx man gets $44 million hospital bill.
MIX XLR8R offers a futuristic tech-house mix from L.A.’s skilled DJ Santiago Salizar (72m)
* US DOJ: Constitution protects the right to record police officers in public places.
IMG Thanking Jesus.
* 2002 record broken: paper folded in half 13 times
* Gizmodo: Google just made Bing the best search engine
* Had your memes checked lately? Make sure you’re not missing any at the Daily Omnivore.
* Squirrely NASA goes after another astronaut for selling something he thought was his. (Could it be because they lost the moon-landing videos?)
AUD Sounddesigners offers a Tribute to Berlin techno duo and record label Basic Channel.(66m) It’s due: They helped launch Monolake’s career! A beauty….
MP3 … and the Tachyon Netlabel wants you to listen to room101′s SLOW TRAIN.(68m) Why would you not?
VID The Boombox Project is an HD look at a skilled photographer who prizes vintage boomboxen. (8m)
NPR Actor George Takei describes growing up in a Japanese-American internment camp
* OWS explains what it accomplished: 2011: A Year in Revolt.
AUD Partys Over Earth iz medley from new ZZT (DE<>CA) album. blip chip
VID ADDED Universal Techno (62m) to sidebar. (French film, multi-language, Detroit parts in English) From 1996, still one of the best shorter,sophisticated films on what drives modern EM.
* Vegetarian converts will include Lady Gaga, who will wear a dress made entirely of heirloom tomatoes, and Meatloaf will change his name to Tofuloaf. – Krassner on 2012
VID One guitar, 5 players. Wasn’t there a law about that?
VID Washington State governor comes out for gay marriage, will introduce the bill.
* How to hide from machines (by adopting some strange fashions)
* Peter Frampton has been re-united with the guitar he lost in 1980.
NPR Are expensive violins really all that different?
* Remember the thousands of blackbirds that fell dead last year in Arkansas? It happened again.
* Russian-Records.com is a website dedicated to old Russian 78s. Click on a picture-label to listen! [via MeFi]
MIX Dirty Dubstep Ep. 22 & 23 – 100m of fun – Going Quantum
* WHEE! The US starts the new year with 40,000 new State laws. No that’s not a typo.
VID Doctorow: the Coming War on General Purpose Computers (transcript available) (by ‘coming’ he means ‘now’)
MP3 Shane Morris’ 3-track ‘meditative ambient’ (dedicated to P.K. Dick) Set the Penfield Mood Organ to Aware.
* Ebert on why movie revenues are dropping
* Wikizic wants to be the world’s largest ‘music virtual museum. Until then, it might still be useful.
MIX Unmaker – EM from B.C. & San Diego (61m) A pack of inventive trax journeys you to multiple ports of call.
……………………………. December 2011 Kwik-cools