DEM is: New electronic music mixes/news • Anniversaries in music history
|AUDs & ENDs
(A “sticky” added-to all month long)
* How (from almost nothing!) Guitar Hero became a Billion-Dollar business
* Even after 5 years, WogBlog continues to find things to say about the Beatles. Roger says: “if we hear about something that has yet to be reported by other Beatles news services, we tend to write about it.”
* Google/Youtube has stripped billions of faked-up view counts from all the major record companies. They paid a botmaster to create fake “likes” and “views”.
MIX Headphone Commute passes along an enjoyable Jungle Fusion mix that “ranges from peaceful and relaxing to highly energetic and sometimes even purely chaotic.”
It’s one of the juicy tidbits compiled at videoblog Intelligent Jungle Music.
* Nat Geo explores why music moves us so.
* 2012 Dec. 21 Psy’s “Gangnam Style” has made it to 1 billion Youtube views. Quietus looks at How The World Woke Up To The Genius Of K-Pop. Will the Western industry (including media) re-double its efforts to stifle the competition, as it’s done since forever? [more at MeFi]
WHY? A list of 2012 Top Album lists. OK, no more of that.
MIX Blog A Sound Awareness presents “an exclusive mix of avant oddness expertly curated by Radioolio”. 34 selections in 58 minutes.
MIXs 25-year NYC dance DJ Jay Locke has assembled mellow C.O.M.E. N.Y.C. Mix #1 for your holiday enjoyment. (Ten trax, 52m)
[via SoundDesigners blog, where also-mellow & spacier SD#57 is available (60m)]
* The guys who created MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface … introduced Jan. 21, 1983 , today part of many mobile phones) are being awarded a Technical Grammy. CDM has a great piece explaining the whoopla about Sequential Circuits founder Dave Smith and Roland founder Ikutaro Kakehashi.
(Smith found a photo “solving” the old mystery … Chadabe was right all along.) These patient guys deserve a BIG piece of cake or three.
* RIP Indian music master Ravi Shankar. Shankar’s appearance at the 1967 Monterey Pop Fest ignited sales and studies of traditional Indian music. He traveled widely to collaborate with many world musicians and composers. (Website)
* How much money musicians are making, from the Future of Music Coalition.
* RIP jazz legend Dave Brubeck. Tangerine
DEM History titles page. I’ve revised this partial list of dated history posts (with links for each date).
MP3 Get ready for a modern Xmas with Santastic 7 / It’s A Wonderful Mash – compiled by djBC.
* Well-written personal piece about respected US blues/folk picker Doc Watson. Blind, Doc won 7 Grammies; he died earlier this year.
………………… November 2012 AUDs & ENDs